Thursday, August 23, 2007

Post your Lay Groups!

Hello all!
One of the things I'd like to accomplish with this blog is to help Buddhist servicemembers connect with each other. I know many of us Buddhists feel isolated in the military; if we could find each other and share support, this definitely could help with our morale and our positive identification as Buddhists. If you know of a lay Buddhist group at your base or on your ship, or where a Buddhist lay leader is located, please contact me to post on this blog.
There will be a separate section listing which installations to find lay or support groups.
Namo Amida Butsu!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Greetings,
As a Vietnam veteran who is also a practicing Buddhist, I want to say that I believe this site fills a genuine need. My opinions reflect one of the statements of this site - that military service is in accord with "Right Livelihood." The exercise of force with compassion is not, I believe a violation of the tenets, and in my opinion, events in Sri Lanka bear this out. If members of this site have not done so already, I would suggest reading a slim volume by Paul R. Fleischmann called "The Buddha Taught Nonviolence, Not Pacifism," which he wrote after 9/11. Metta to all Buddhist members and others of the military and veterans, particularly those in Afghanistan and Iraq.
Terry Koch
New York

Creative Commons License
Buddhist Military Sangha by Jeanette Shin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at buddhistmilitarysangha.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://buddhistmilitarysangha.blogspot.com/.