Welcome to this blog for a Buddhist Military Sangha! At this time, there is very little up, but I am hoping that this public forum will work towards several goals:
- Provide a welcoming and positive forum for Buddhists currently serving or who have served in the military to communicate and support one another.
- Recognize and promote honorable military service as in accord with the Eightfold Path's Right Livelihood.
- Correct misconceptions about Buddhists serving in the military.
- Help Buddhists unfamiliar with the military understand the jobs of their relatives and friends who are serving or who have served, and who love and respect the military profession.
- Help Buddhist Sanghas learn how to support and understand Buddhist military members, veterans, and their families.
- Represent the important of religious pluralism and diversity in today's military population, and by extension in American society.
Although I am Jodo Shinshu Buddhist, this forum is not limited to Jodo Shinshu Buddhism, but is open to all Buddhists of every tradition, because that is the reality of Buddhists serving in today's military. I envision this blog also as a nonpolitical forum. As a Navy chaplain, I encounter Buddhists from a wide variety of Buddhist traditions and cultures, and also I have met Buddhists who have been ostracized because of their profession. We need a space where we can communicate without fear of criticism or hostility because of our profession or our particular form of Buddhist practice. This may be an idealistic hope, but I encourage your feedback!